4 Things To Consider When Purchasing Commercial Trucker Insurance

7 September 2021
 Categories: Insurance, Blog


The type of truck insurance you need will depend on a number of factors, including the state where you're located, the truck that you drive, and the type of cargo that you carry. Commercial trucker insurance can allow you to get the liability coverage you need to operate a commercial vehicle safely and legally. Here are four things you should consider when purchasing commercial trucker insurance:

1. Do you already have commercial truck insurance?

If you drive a commercial truck but do not yet have insurance, you will need to purchase general liability truck insurance. This type of insurance plan will cover the cost of medical expenses and property damage caused by your truck. Truck fleet operators will also need to purchase this type of insurance since it covers the cost of damages caused by hired truck drivers. General liability truck insurance is a legal requirement in most states. This type of truck insurance can keep you out of debt by preventing the need for you to pay for injured parties' expenses out of pocket.

2. Do you expect damage to your truck?

Vehicles can become damaged due to any number of accidents, and commercial trucks are no exception. If you want to protect your trucks from unforeseen damage, you should purchase commercial truck physical damage insurance. This type of insurance will pay for repairs to your truck if and when they occur.

3. Do you haul valuable cargo?

Basic commercial truck insurance typically only covers liability costs and damage to your truck itself. If you want to ensure the cargo in your truck, you will want to purchase additional trucker insurance. Cargo insurance will cover the cost of cargo that is damaged due to a collision, regardless of who is at fault. It will also cover the cost of cargo lost due to theft. Refrigerated truck drivers who suffer a loss of cargo due to refrigeration malfunctions can also claim their losses using this type of insurance. Cargo insurance can be added to the truck insurance you already purchase.

4. Do you drive your commercial truck when not on the job?

If you drive your commercial truck when you aren't on the job, you'll need to purchase non-trucking liability insurance. This type of insurance covers your vehicle when you aren't hauling cargo for a job or returning to headquarters after making a delivery. Anyone who drives their commercial truck for non-business purposes should have this type of secondary insurance. Non-trucking liability insurance will help you keep your truck protected at all times.